This dreamy Boise Engagement Session by SS Photography and Design is proof that every couple should consider a greenhouse engagement session.
If you have never been to Edwards Greenhouse is Boise, Idaho, then you really need to go! First of all, it is huge with many different sections and so much to look at. Secondly, the staff are incredibly helpful and kind. It is also open year round with great seasonal selections. And lastly, they allow photoshoots any time during normal business hours!
So why should a photographer or a couple consider a greenhouse for an engagement session? Well, here are some simple reasons:
I am a photographer and have shot families and engagement sessions at Edwards Greenhouse. The biggest reason I love it so much is that the light is perfect. Like, it couldn’t get better! And that goes for pretty much any time of day. Most photographers will only shoot in the evenings because the light is so harsh mid-day. Well, in a greenhouse the light hits the ceiling and spreads ever so softly throughout the entire facility. The beautiful light also bounces from the light, dirt floors to fill in the faces of the subjects. Essentially that means that everyone looks gorgeous without even having to worry about the direction of the light.
Whether a photographer has a dark and moody style or a color muted, light and airy style, the colors within the greenhouse just work! There are sections with only greenery, but also bright and vibrant flowers that just don’t naturally grow in someone’s backyard. The variety is endless. Also, pretty much any feminine outfit will go perfectly in this gorgeous setting. Greens, yellows, pinks, reds, greens. You name it, you got it.
It is obvious that the interior is incredible during a greenhouse engagement session, but what about the exterior? Well, most greenhouses also have gorgeous grounds that are very well maintained. This is also true for Edwards Greenhouse. They have a walking path that leads to what seems like a Secret Garden with benches, a gazebo, and incredible plant life. Not to mention the dazzling mature fruit trees that line the path. Lastly, the exterior of the building is just too cool and makes for the perfect backdrop for a wide environmental shot. PS, those are a perfect shot to hang in your home as a 40 x 60 above the couch. Talk about a work of art at the focal point of your living space. Boom!
Of course I can’t speak for all greenhouses but, at Edwards, there is no fee. No permit required. No scheduling needed. Their rule is this; as long as they are open, you are welcome to come shoot. I will say that, from experience, a greenhouse is not a great spot for family sessions with young children. The environment is too distracting, there are way too many things to touch, and it is disturbing to the other customers. However, it is perfect for a greenhouse engagement session. The couple listens, follows directions, stays on the path, and doesn’t rip out the flowers. Usually the staff appreciates this age group a little more than the youngsters.
As a guideline, you should always call and check to see if it is ok before showing up.
What is the point of an engagement session? Is it just to have something to send out with your invitations? No way, Jose. It is to display your love and affection for one another! Proper posing and technique, which SS Photography totally nailed here, is 80% of it. And the other 20% is the environment. Of course we want some images where the couple is “camera aware” aka looking at the camera and smiling. However, those images that seem like a moment frozen in time are timeless and give our hearts the flutters. What could be more dreamy than a stroll, with the one you love, through a luscious garden while kissing, holding hands, telling secrets, and being playful? Um, nothing.
Photographer: SS Photography and Design
Venue: Edwards Greenhouse
Makeup: Sarah Decamp Makeup Artistry
Hair: Rachel Walker
Rings: Portsche’s Fine Jewelry